POSITION: Judicial Assistant to the Honorable Ronald M. Gould, U.S. Circuit Judge
LOCATION: Seattle, Washington
SALARY: JSP Grade 9 ($54,869 - $71,331), JSP Grade 10 ($60,424 - $78,553), or JSP Grade 11 ($66,386 - $86,305), Depending on qualifications and salary.
CLOSING DATE: Position open until filled. Applications reviewed as received; priority given to applications received by December 14, 2018.
START DATE: January 2019
The Judicial Assistant (JA) is one of two permanent staff members in the Judge Gould’s chambers. The successful candidate will have a pleasant and positive attitude, excellent organizational skills, the ability to act as the institutional memory of a small office with a staff of law clerks, and the initiative to ensure smooth-running operations on a day-to-day basis.
The JA performs administrative and legal duties using legal terminology, procedures, and documents. JA’s assist the judge in the daily activities of the office, performing administrative management and legal duties as assigned by the Judge. These include cite checking, drafting orders in both civil and criminal cases, proof-reading, and maintaining electronic case files and databases. Additionally the JA will receive and assist visitors; answer phones and screen calls; prepare correspondence and reports; assist the Judge in managing and preparing his involvement with various judicial committees and events; and maintain office functionality, from ordering supplies to coordinating technical assistance.
The JA is also responsible for the administrative aspects of preparing the Judge for calendar. Technological sophistication is required to adapt to the current practices of chambers and the court. Other duties include performing case checks for potential conflicts of interest, organizing calendar materials, acquiring and returning court records, reminding clerks of critical deadlines, maintaining a database, preparing expense reports, making travel arrangements, filing, and submitting the Judge’s annual financial disclosure and non-case-related travel reports. Previous experience in reviewing attorney expense reports is desired.
The JA is also importantly tasked with the management and scheduling of the Judge’s complex calendar, ensuring that the Judge is aware of and prepared for all commitments and appointments. This includes regular monitoring of the Judge’s calendar to avoid any potential double-setting of calendar events.
· At least two (2) years of general work experience. See further qualification levels, below.
· Must possess a strong legal, administrative or paralegal background.
· Excellent organization, communication and administrative skills.
· Computer proficiency with word processing, email, legal research and database maintenance.
· Proficiency with making travel arrangements and submitting expense reports.
· Excellent command of English grammar and spelling.
· Ability to work collegially in a small working environment.
· Integrity, character, and good judgment.
Grade JS 9: 4 years of specialized work experience.*
Grade JS 10: 5 years of specialized work experience.*
Grade JS 11: 6 years of specialized work experience.*
* Specialized work experience is defined as experience that is in or closely related to the work of the position that has provided the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Education in a legal or paralegal curriculum may be substituted for a maximum of two years of specialized experience on the basis of one full academic year (30 semester or 45 quarter hours) equals one year of experience.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or a paralegal certificate from an accredited paralegal program.
· Prior federal court experience.
· Experience with Court procedure or an interest in learning.
· Federal pension plan and optional employer-matching Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401K).
· 10 paid holidays per year; up to 13 days of paid vacation for the first three years, increasing with tenure thereafter; 13 sick days accrued per year.
· Choice of a variety of employer-subsidized federal health and life insurance plans. Optional dental, vision, and long-term care coverage.
· Flexible spending account allows you to pay out-of-pocket health and dependent care expenses with tax-free dollars.
· Mass transit subsidy.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in the process of applying for citizenship. Positions with the U.S. Courts are excepted service appointments. Excepted service appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. Employees will be hired provisionally pending the results of a background investigation and fingerprinting. Employees are subject to the Judicial Code of Conduct. Direct deposit of pay required. The U.S. Court of Appeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABOUT THE COURT
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is one of 12 federal appellate courts. Circuit courts hear appeals from the district (trial) courts located within their circuit, as well as appeals from decisions of federal administrative agencies. Headquartered in San Francisco with courthouses in Pasadena, Seattle and Portland, the Court serves nine western states, Guam and the Mariana Islands.
For more information about the federal court system, please visit: http://www.uscourts.gov/
For more information about the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, please visit: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov
An application package must include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references.
Please submit applications through the Court’s Career Portal: https://ca9-employment.breezy....
To ensure consideration, please submit these materials by: December 14, 2018
Applicants scheduled for interviews should advise the Human Resources department if any accommodation will be necessary to interview. Applicants must travel at their own expense and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, withdraw the announcement, or fill the position at any time, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice.