POSITION: Librarian – Reno Branch Library
LOCATION: Reno, NV
CLASSIFICATION LEVEL/SALARY: CL 27 ($48,951 – $79,617) or CL 28 ($58,700 – $95,388)
For CL-27: promotion potential to CL-28 without competition within the Ninth Circuit Library system.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Priority given to applications received by September 30, 2018.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
The Ninth Circuit headquarters library and the administrative office of the Ninth Circuit library system are located in San Francisco. In addition, we have 23 staffed library branches throughout the Circuit to serve the information needs of over 400 circuit, district, bankruptcy, and magistrate judges. We also serve approximately 5,000 employees of court units throughout the Circuit.
For more information about the Ninth Circuit Library, please visit: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/li...
• Performs legal and non-legal research and reference services for judges, court personnel, branch libraries and other library users.
• Works as a team member in development of web-based and other electronic information delivery services.
• Provides education and training to court staff on WestlawNext, Lexis Advance, Bloomberg Law, and other research sources.
• Develops training materials, library promotional materials, and research guides.
• For CL-27: Assists in collection development as well as acquisitions and/or cataloging.
• For CL-28: Develops collection; performs all required acquisitions functions for library and chambers collections; catalogs library collection; manages budget for collections and library operations.
• Works as a team member in coordinating services with other branch libraries throughout the circuit.
• Performs interlibrary loan transactions for court personnel.
• Other duties and projects as assigned.
• M.L.S. degree (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited library school.
• For CL-27: One year of related specialized experience.
• For CL-28: One year of professional law library experience equivalent to a CL-27. (Work performed at the CL-28 level is more complex and requires more independent responsibility.)
• Ability to travel to court locations within the District of Nevada and the circuit.
• Ability to handle occasional moderate to heavy physical activity.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Two (2) years of professional law library experience.
• Demonstrated skills in reference and legal research.
• Experience with an Integrated Library System.
• Experience in the development of SharePoint or other web-based information delivery services.
• J.D. degree.
• Practical experience in acquisitions, cataloging, and technical services.
• Aptitude for performing functions requiring a high degree of accuracy and careful attention to detail.
• Ability to work as a solo librarian and to prioritize demands from multiple users.
• Experience working with people at all levels; effective oral and written communication skills.
• Vacation time accrues at a rate of 13 days per year the first three years; increasing with tenure.
• Sick days accrue up to 13 per year; 10 holidays.
• Choice of a variety of employer-subsidized federal health and life insurance plans. Dental and vision coverage available. Flexible spending account program. Optional long-term care insurance.
• Participation in both the Federal Employees Retirement System and the Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401K, with employer matching).
• Mass transit subsidy (budget dependent).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in the process of applying for citizenship. Positions with the U.S. Courts are excepted service appointments. Excepted service appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. Employees will be hired provisionally pending the results of a background investigation and fingerprinting. Employees are subject to The Judicial Code of Conduct. Direct deposit of pay required. The U.S. Court of Appeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit a resume with a detailed cover letter which clearly demonstrates why you are the best candidate for this position, along with 3 professional references by September 30, 2018.
Applications are submitted through the Court’s Career Portal.
Due to the volume of applications received, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants selected for interviews must travel at their own expense and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, withdraw the announcement, or fill the position at any time, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice.