POSITION: Case Administrator Trainee
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
CLASSIFICATION LEVEL/SALARY RANGE: CL 23 ($39,943 – $64,930). Depending on experience and qualifications.
TERM: One year term. Renewable based on budget and performance.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Priority given to applications received by October 19, 2018.
More than one vacancy may be filled from this announcement.
ABOUT THE COURT
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals hears appeals from the district courts located within its circuit, as well as appeals from decisions of federal administrative agencies. Main court offices are located in San Francisco, with divisional offices in Pasadena, Seattle and Portland. The San Francisco courthouse is conveniently located in a beautiful historic building one block from the Civic Center BART/Muni station.
This position reports to the Operations Supervisor in the San Francisco Clerk’s Office. These entry-level positions in various groups of the Docketing Unit are ideal for a recent college graduate with strong data entry skills and an interest in law, criminal justice or judicial administration. The trainee will be responsible for the initial review of paper and electronic filings such as motions, briefs, and orders, entering them into our case management database, and directing them to appropriate units within the Court. The trainee will also be responsible for other administrative and customer service tasks such as answering telephone calls from the public and scanning documents.
• High school graduation or equivalent, plus two years of general work experience; college degree strongly preferred, and may be substituted for general work experience.
• Working knowledge of Windows-based and browser-based applications.
• Experience with word processing applications and PDF documents.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Flexibility, strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• BA degree with a 3.5 grade point average.
• Prior legal experience, familiarity with legal concepts and documents.
• Vacation days accrue up to 13 days per year; 13 sick days accrued per year; 10 holidays.
• Choice of a variety of employer-subsidized federal health and life insurance plans; Flexible Spending Account program; Optional dental, vision, long-term care coverage.
• Participation in the Federal retirement system.
• Optional participation in employer-matching defined contribution plan (similar to a 401K).
• Public transit subsidy.
• On-site gym and café.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in the process of applying for citizenship. Positions with the U.S. Courts are excepted service appointments. Excepted service appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. Employees will be hired provisionally pending the results of a background investigation and fingerprinting, and are subject to a probationary period. Employees are subject to The Judicial Code of Conduct. Direct deposit of pay required. The U.S. Court of Appeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
An application package must include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references.
Please submit applications through the Court’s Career Portal: https://ca9-employment.breezy....
To ensure consideration, please submit all requested materials by: October 19, 2018
Applicants scheduled for interviews should advise the Human Resources department if any accommodation will be necessary to interview. Applicants must travel at their own expense and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, withdraw the announcement, or fill the position at any time, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice.